Subject: [Leica] thanks, and, the meaning of a Noctilux
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 20:19:05 -0800

Dear LUG friends,

Some of you are too new to the LUG to know that the majority of the
expense of my new Noctilux (nearly 2/3, as it turns out) was provided
by donations from LUG members, in an effort coordinated by Marc Small.
This was done quite some time ago; it's taken me a while to raise the
rest of the money. But today I did. I am more grateful than you ever
know.  Thank you, thank you!

So I've owned a Noctilux 12 hours, and instead of using it, (well, I
did shoot one roll) I've been trying to understand what it means. I've
finally figured it out, and I have expressed the answer in the
following somewhat-modified screenplay.

 		SCARECROW
	You promised us real things -- a real...

		SCARECROW
	...brain!

		TIN MAN o.s.
	A real heart!

		LION
	Real courage. That's what we want.

		WIZARD
	You do? boys, you're aiming low. You not
	only surprise, but you grieve me.
	Why, anybody can have a brain.  That's a
	very mediocre commodity.  Every pusillanimous
	creature that crawls on the earth -- or
	slinks through slimy seas has a brain!

	From the rock-bound coast of Maine to the
	Sun.... oh - oh, no -- -- ah - Well, be
	that as it may. Back where I come from we
	have universities, seats of great learning
	-- where men go to become great thinkers.
	And when they come out, they think deep
	thoughts -- and with no more brains than
	you have.... But!  They have one thing you
	haven't got!  A diploma!

The Wizard reaches back and obtains several diplomas -- selecting
one and presents it to the Scarecrow

		WIZARD
	Therefore, by virtue of the authority
	vested in me by the Universitatus
	Committeeatum e plurbis unum, I hereby
	confer upon you the honorary degree of Th.D.

		SCARECROW
	Th.D.?

		WIZARD
	Yeah -- that...that's Dr. of Thinkology!

		SCARECROW
	The sum of the square roots of any two
	sides of an isosceles triangle is equal to
	the square root of the remaining side.  Oh
	joy, rapture!  I've got a brain!

Wizard pauses on the throne steps -- opens a door and
takes out a black bag -- takes a medal from the bag --

		SCARECROW
	How can I ever thank you enough?

		WIZARD
	Well, you can't.  As for you, my fine
	friend -- you're a victim of disorganized
	thinking.  You are under the unfortunate
	delusion that simply because you run away
	from danger, you have no courage.  You're
	confusing courage with wisdom.  Back where
	I come from, we have men who are called
	heroes.  Once a year, they take their
	fortitude out of mothballs and parade it
	down the main street of the city.  And they
	have no more courage than you have.  But!
	They have one thing that you haven't got!
	A medal!  Therefore -- for meritorious....
	...conduct, extraordinary valor, conspicuous
	bravery against wicked witches, I award you
	the Triple Cross.

	You are now a member of the Legion of
	Courage!

		LION
	Oh -- Oh -- shucks, folks, I'm speechless!

Dorothy, Tin Man, Scarecrow watch the Lion as he beams with joy over
his new medal -- the Wizard turns to the Tin Man -- speaks to him --

		WIZARD
	As for you, my galvanized friend, you want
	a heart! You don't know how lucky you are
	not to have one. Hearts will never be
	practical until they can be made
	unbreakable. I could have been a world
	figure, a power among men, a - a successful
	wizard, had I not been obstructed by a heart.

		TIN MAN
	But I still want one.

		WIZARD
	Yes --
	...back where I come from there are men who
	do nothing all day but good deeds.  They
	are called phil...er -- er -- phil -- er,
	yes...good-deed-doers.  And their hearts
	are no bigger than yours.  But!  They have
	one thing you haven't got!  A testimonial!

Wizard bends down and gets a heart-shaped watch from his black bag;
he presents it to the Tin Man as Dorothy, Lion and Scarecrow look on

		WIZARD
	Therefore, in consideration of your
	kindness, I take pleasure at this time in
	presenting you with a small token of our
	esteem and affection.  And remember, my
	sentimental friend....
	...that a heart is not judged by how much
	you love, but by how much you are loved by
	others.

 Tin Man listens to his watch, then holds it up to Dorothy's
ear --

		TIN MAN
	Ahh --- Oh, it ticks!  Listen!

		DOROTHY
	Yes...! Now, what about my friend Brian here?
	He wanted to be a photographer?

		WIZARD
	As for you, my overweight friend, you want to
	be a photographer. Back where I come from, there
	are people who do nothing all day but take great
	pictures that inspire awe in their colleagues.
	And their cameras are the same brand as yours, and
	they dilute their developer the same way that you
	do. But the reason that they take great pictures
	and you are a duffer is not that you have no skill.
	It's that they have one thing you don't have! A
	Noctilux! It's the most outrageous lens ever made,
	and by the same magic with which a diploma will give
	the scarecrow a brain and a ticking watch will give
	the tin woodman a heart, my friend, this Noctilux
	will make you a photographer.

Wizard reaches into Brian's pocket, extracts his wallet, hands the
contents to Jeff Alford, who returns shortly with a white box that
has a piece of black tape covering some of the words.

		WIZARD
	Therefore, in consideration of the grand gift from
	your colleagues at the LUG, and the rest, I take
	pleasure at this time in filling out the Passport
	form for this Noctilux. And here are five rolls of
	Neopan 1600. My friend, take this outside, find someplace
	where there isn't a lot of light, and push that soft
	release a lot. Remember: you are judged not by how
	many cameras you own but by how many pictures you
	take with them. And do remember to follow the PLUG
	rules.

(fade to OC safelight illumination of the set)

Replies: Reply from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: thanks, and, the meaning of a Noctilux)
Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] thanks, and, the meaning of a Noctilux)