Subject: Re: [Leica] bokeh, Nocti and otherwise [was: NOCTILUX-M f/1/50 mm]
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 16:53:46 +0000

At 01:00 PM 12/14/01 -0800, Feliciano di Giorgio wrote:
>Yeah, I was thinking about that. I was looking at getting a older piece
>of Leica glass for my IIIc, to do some b/w 1930's looking work. Just
>can't make up my mind if it's going to be a Summitar or Summarit. Elmars
>are a little too slow for my taste. I'm going to take a wild guess here
>and say the Summitar has more contrast than the Summarit? Sharpness may
>be about the same?

The Summitar is substantially sharper than the Summarit and has
significantly better contrast, but it does lack the ability to go faster
than f/2.  And I'd go for a Summar or Xenon for that "1930's looking work",
as the Summitar was only introduced at the end of 1939 and the Summarit in
1949.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!