Subject: Re: [Leica] bokeh, Nocti and otherwise [was: NOCTILUX-M f/1/50 mm]
From: Feliciano di Giorgio <feli@d2.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 13:00:43 -0800

> I can't comment on how it stacks up against the Nokton, but FWIW I'd say that the
> Summarit is a unique lens compared to other Leica lenses. It does have its
> shortcomings - it's a bit soft and lacks contrast wide open (at least mine does)
> - but the bokeh is truly fine, as you say. I've got one in LTM and use it on a
> IIIf. The minute you see the negs on the light table, you know they were shot
> with a Summarit.
>
> If you're willing to take a chance with a new lens, why not give one of these a
> try? You can pick one up used for a few hundred dollars and sell it for the same
> if you don't like it.
>
> Guy

Yeah, I was thinking about that. I was looking at getting a older piece
of Leica glass for my IIIc, to do some b/w 1930's looking work. Just
can't make up my mind if it's going to be a Summitar or Summarit. Elmars
are a little too slow for my taste. I'm going to take a wild guess here
and say the Summitar has more contrast than the Summarit? Sharpness may
be about the same?

feli

Replies: Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (Re: [Leica] bokeh, Nocti and otherwise [was: NOCTILUX-M f/1/50 mm])
Message from Feliciano di Giorgio <feli@d2.com> (Re: [Leica] bokeh, Nocti and otherwise [was: NOCTILUX-M f/1/50 mm])