Subject: Re: [Leica] bokeh, Nocti and otherwise [was: NOCTILUX-M f/1/50 mm]
From: gbennett@lainet.com
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 12:31:29 -0800 (PST)

Quoting Feliciano di Giorgio <feli@d2.com>:

> Simon Stevens wrote:
> > Feli:
> > Which one are you referring to?
>
> Summarit and the new Voigtlander Nocton. Erwin P. Says they are very
> similar,
> but that the Nocton has the edge in contrast when wide open. But I've
> read that
> the Summarit has this butter smooth bokeh and wide smoooooth grey
> scale
> in the
> midtones. Does the Nocton look anything like that?
>
> feli

I can't comment on how it stacks up against the Nokton, but FWIW I'd say that the
Summarit is a unique lens compared to other Leica lenses. It does have its
shortcomings - it's a bit soft and lacks contrast wide open (at least mine does)
- - but the bokeh is truly fine, as you say. I've got one in LTM and use it on a
IIIf. The minute you see the negs on the light table, you know they were shot
with a Summarit.

If you're willing to take a chance with a new lens, why not give one of these a
try? You can pick one up used for a few hundred dollars and sell it for the same
if you don't like it.

Guy