Subject: Re: [Leica] New RF Buyer...
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 16:57:36 +0000

At 03:06 PM 12/14/01 -0600, John Straus wrote:
>What I do want to know is why are the serial #'s so important on the lenses?
>Let me state this now; I'M NOT A COLLECTOR!!! I do NOT want to pay extra for
>anything but shooting value. Meaning I'm willing to consider spending more
>only if I'll see pretty obvious results on an 8x10 - 11x14.

John

If you are unfamiliar with RF work, then I'd suggest that you invest in a
IIIc with a 2/5cm Summitar and find out all the joys of natural-light work.
 Once you're comfortable with the system, then you can move up to newer and
more expensive gear.

The serial numbers define variations within production.  Often, these will
identify whether a lens is "first version" or "second version" or the like.
 The number runs are more important to users than they are to collectors.

But the important thing is to get a camera and get shooting.  As Ted Grant
will tell you, you can even use Canadian glass in a pinch, if you aren't
able to find any of that Really Good German stuff.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!

Replies: Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (Re: [Leica] New RF Buyer...)