Subject: Re: [Leica] Tri-X vs. HP5+ at ISO 800
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 13:16:26 +0100

>To plan some work in available semi-darkness with my Summicron-M f/2, I
>asked my friendly b&w custom processor for his views on rating Tri-X at ISO
>800 (Jim Mitchell's M.O. for his rock photos). Pierre said that in his
>experience HP5+ was more amenable to pushing than Tri-X.
>I would be curious about any confirming or dissenting views regarding the
>specific choice between these two emulsions.
>Oliver Bryk

When I had my old 35 mm pre ASPH Summicron-M I used to shoot Tri-X at
800 and develop in Xtol 1+1, with my new ASPH Summicron I shoot HP5
at 800 and develop in Rodinal 1+25. Pushing to 800 is no problem with
any of these two combinations, particularly in semi-darkness
situations where shadow details are not decisive, and where the lack
of shadow details may give your picture a look that you want to
achieve.

The final print from these two combinations look entirely different.
Tri-X is creamy and soft and HP5
harsh and with more acutance.  Of course the lenses influence the
difference, and the developer adds to it. You must know what you
want. Then do a few tests to see if you achieve this with one of the
suggestions above. Pushing to 800 will be fine with both these films
for the type of pictures you want to make.

Chris

- --
Christer Almqvist
look at my b+w portraits