Subject: [Leica] OT: loading 120 film
From: Pete Su <psu_13@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 06:42:30 -0800 (PST)

For most of my time doing my own darkroom work, I've worked in 35mm with
plastic reels. I like them. They are easy to load since you can trim the film
leader with the lights on. They work.

But, in the last year I've been branching out into 120, and I have a lot of
trouble loading. It's almost to the point where I'd rather just give the film
to someone else because handling it in the dark is just such a pain. What I
find typically happens is that even if I get the film on the reel (which is
iffy) it inevitably buckles or jumps the spiral somewhere in the middle and I
have to start over. At some point, I do this enough to mangle a good chunk of
the film.

I've always avoided steel reels because they seem to require and extra bit of
manual dexterity in the dark, which I don't have. But, I wanted to see if
anyone had ever played with this Kindermann device for loading steel reels.
Does it work?

Alternatively, without getting into a steel/plastic religous war, is loading SS
reels with 120 any easier? I'm starting to think it can't be any worse.

This message is really just a pathetic cry for help after I turned the lights
on at the wrong time yesterday with 3 rolls of 120 in my tank, but the tank
open. Sigh.

Thanks
Pete