Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: loading 120 film
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 10:03:48 -0500

Pete-
First- fix out the film and wash and dry it--- it can still be of use! If
you didn't crumple it in frustration when you turned on the lights.
then, get some GOOD stainless reels. These are the ones with thick wire in
the spirals- less likely to jump since they are higher, and better all
around since they provide a wider space between the turns of film.
Then, go into the den with your 'blank film', sit under a good light and
load the reel. It is almost certain that with the lights on, you will get it
the first time. Keep doing it, perhaps while watching television, or
listening to some music. You fingers will 'learn' what a correct load will
feel like.  If it buckles at fist, you will learn to feel it, and after a
while, it will be as natural as getting into your car and starting it. I
refused to get the Stainless Steel reels, years ago- about 35- and clunk to
my o;d "Yankee" tanks until it got too inconvenient to do film one roll at a
time. Once youlearn it's like riding a bike- you never forget, and it sure
makes life a lot better!!
If you what my opinion about 35mm reels- the Hewes that I bought were a
great investment. The 'clip' that most reels use is a pain to use; with the
Hewes, and the little 'horns' it uses to engage the film are to me as a
siginificant advancement as disk brakes!! Safe and sure!
Good Luck- Loading film on a metal reel is just like sex and forgery---
practice makes perfect! :o)
Dan (Nimble and Quick) Post