Subject: Re: [Leica] OT:Photo grad school.
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 12:44:14 -0600

ARTHURWG@aol.com11/25/019:25 PM

> I've
> noticed that many untalented and very boring "art" photograpers
manage to
> get shows, get reviews and even sell their work because of
their academic
> contacts. Those folks scratch each other's back.

This subject interests me a great deal. But I really tire of the
sweeping generalization that "art" photographers manage to
succeed without any merit.

Let us at least attempt to refer to specific photographers who've
managed this, so as to lend credence to the opinions. I have seen
the work of many "art" photographers who've created beautiful
images, prints, and concepts (work that causes me to think
outside the box), which would probably fall outside the
definitions of fine "technical" skill, or photo journalism, or
other traditional photo categories. Artists who use and stretch
photographic materials and/or techniques but may not care to
adhere to "traditional" photographic practice or "looks"; but do
create and present visualizations which can move me, emotionally,
aesthetically, and/or intellectually - and speak of deeper
realities and authentic experiences.

On the other hand I find the great hord of "stock" photography,
which shows great technical perfection, remarkable equipment
quality and precision, and solid professionalism - incredibly
boring and redundant - and in most cases - false, fake, unreal.

George