Subject: Re: [Leica] Paint Bubbling
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 08:32:20 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

On Sat, 17 Nov 2001 00:32:46 -0800 Marc Attinasi <marc@attinasi.org>
wrote:
> I'm sorry, I cannot tell if you are:
>
> 1) suggesting that the use of an everready case implies a lack of use or a failure to produce a 'flood of worthwhile photographic images'
> 2) urging me to frequent smoke-filled bars so I can spill alcoholic beverages on my camera to prevent paint bubbling
> 3) trying to state that concern over something as trivial as cosmetic defects is to be ridiculed, or at least used as an excuse to exude profuse (though underappreciated) sarchasm
> 4) just too witty for me to understand at all.
>
> In any case, thanks, you have really helped me understand my problem - 'way to go' ;-)

Actually, Marc, Numbers 1 and 3 are for real.  2 and 4 are simply smartass responses.
The real truth is that your problem is something that cropped up more often after
the change to zinc for some M- parts.  These parts, like most alloy castings, seem
to not hold a finish as well as the older parts.

There are, seriously, two schools of thought on this.  One, typified by Ted, Tina,
Jim, etc, ( and many if not most pros), is that the cameras are just as good
or better than they used to be, and that the inferior finishes house a now-
stronger/better mechanism...
This is the group that finds UV filters to be superflous (for protection) and
strap wear/dings/etc to be par for the course.
The other group hoards Leicas and Lenses as status symbols/collectibles/heirlooms,
and of course over-protects the finish/coatings/etc.....

I can actually speak on both sides of these issues.  I've had "user" gear (beaters)
that I've shot with for years, banging about on straps, and I've also had
"mint" gear, wrapped in plastic--in a shoe box in the closet--with silica gel!!!

I've sold the "minty" gear off, bought later (newer) "user" gear, and now have
no "collectibles"....I've no regrets, except I'll defend the "collectors" on
one (personal experience) issue.....
I have a near mint 1967 chrome 35 'cron.
(last year of chrome)...SUPER lens, I've owned it since the late seventies.
I'll probably keep it forever, but you know why?.....It's worth enough, with
my 1970 50 summicron, to trade even for a 35 asph lux...(these lenses are going for
$1000 in minty condx--I don't know why)...which is what I want--
(I use the 35 for 90% of my photos...the rest are taken with a 90 'cron)...
BOTH lenses, however, have a SLIGHT coating mark (you have to use a goddam magnifier
to see them, if you're over 40!!)...one mark, absolutely NO effect on performance,
but knocks hundreds off the resale price.  SO (!!!) if you're SURE your stuff
is "forever", NOT for resale, then use the hell out of it and don't worry about it.
Certainly, if the gear ALREADY has strap marks, bubbled paint, etc, use the crap
out of it and forget about it (this is what I'm doing with mine)...but if it's
"minty", sell it for the MAX money NOW if you ever intend to...Leica purchasers
are absolutely NEUROTIC about the slightest mark!!!--much more so than Nikon
folks...
In the meantime, if anyone wants a EXC '67 35 'cron and an EXC 50, I'll
trade them both for a clean user 35 asph 'lux.....even with a tiny mark!!!--
hell, I'd even throw in a hundred or two!!!

Walt

Replies: Reply from Marc Attinasi <marc@attinasi.org> (Re: [Leica] Paint Bubbling)
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com> (Re: [Leica] Paint Bubbling)