Subject: Re: [Leica] Paint Bubbling
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 09:10:21 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 21:25:15 -0800 Marc Attinasi <marc@attinasi.org>
wrote:
> I took my M6 out of the everready case tonight to load some film and to
> my horror I found that the black paint around the edge of the film door
> has bubbled up - it looks terrible!
>
> Has anyone else ever seen this happen?
> What have I done to cause this? Can it be that the everready case has
> caused this somehow?
Hello, Marc,

This is a common flaw in ALL M-series cameras...it has several causes, usually
found in combination.  The finish used on M film doors requires the frequent
application of human finger oils to stay in good condition.  Simply handling
the camera, sans case, is usually enough lubrication.  Also, the out-gassing
of vapors from the eveready case, combined with similar from padded cases
will attack the paint.  Again, handling the camera most of the time without
eveready case or fitted, padded bag will prevent the problems.  I've found that
frequent application of other contaminants, usually bourbon or cigarette/cigar smoke
to be useful, but this is empirically derived, and may just be concidental--
caused by the frequenting of blues bars with said M-cameras.  Carrying the
camera on Domke or Kameraleader straps, well broken in, seems to lessen the
bubbling of paint you describe, tho after careful study, the paint on my M4-p
MAY have bubbled, before being rubbed off...it's hard to tell.

I should caution, tho, other problems
may crop up if the eveready case is NOT used...sometimes a flood of worthwhile
photographic images litter the desk, sometimes a particular breed of "photo-geek"
will come up to you and 'warn' you about the 'use' of your camera.  This sub-species
subscribes to a belief that 'use' of cameras, particularly Leicas, and particularly
without said eveready case, will lead to problems--what they are, I'm unsure.

In closing, I will note that the flaws you describe seem to occur simultaneously
with slow or sticking slow speeds, foggy lenses or VF, etc...PARTICULARLY if
the camera is stored in it's case, in a closet, and surprisingly these flaws
are often noted AFTER the death of the original owner, particularly if the camera
once passed through an estate sale...again, just speculation, but warrants further,
more scientific study.

Leicas that aren't stored in this fashion often exhibit OTHER finish flaws
(scratches, dents, "pecks"--whatever in the hell that means, "cleaning marks",
etc...) but I've never really noticed "bubbling"...
YMMV,
Best to you and the group,
Walt in Denton