Subject: Re: [Leica] Paint Bubbling
From: Marc Attinasi <marc@attinasi.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 08:16:11 -0800

Walter S Delesandri wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Nov 2001 00:32:46 -0800 Marc Attinasi <marc@attinasi.org>
> wrote:
> > I'm sorry, I cannot tell if you are:
> >
> > 1) suggesting that the use of an everready case implies a lack of use or a failure to produce a 'flood of worthwhile photographic images'
> > 2) urging me to frequent smoke-filled bars so I can spill alcoholic beverages on my camera to prevent paint bubbling
> > 3) trying to state that concern over something as trivial as cosmetic defects is to be ridiculed, or at least used as an excuse to exude profuse (though underappreciated) sarchasm
> > 4) just too witty for me to understand at all.
> >
> > In any case, thanks, you have really helped me understand my problem - 'way to go' ;-)
> >
> Actually, Marc, Numbers 1 and 3 are for real.

Using the everready case has actually *increased* the amount of use my M6 gets. I am now much more comfortable lugging it around on desert hikes, trips to Mexico, and other situations
where I used to worry about damaging it. I thought it was a bit presumptuous to assume:
everready case = disuse, lack of meaningful pictures, reason for sarchastic ridicule.

That said, I am switching to a different case, and picking up some silica gel for the camera bag too :)

> 2 and 4 are simply smartass responses.

Yes, I am sorry. I thought most of your reply was a smartass comment so I felt compelled to respond in kind. I'll try to restrain myself in future.

> [snip some good info]
> There are, seriously, two schools of thought on this.

I guess I fall in between. Every camera in my collection is also one I shoot. I just like to keep them as nice as I can, so if I do need to sell them (for my daughter's education or
something) they will hold their value. I'm not so concerened that I use cotton gloves, but I also try to avoid bangs and bumps and, seriously, spilled beverages.

I think I need to stand in the balcony and just watch the list for a bit. As I get shots that I think might be in need of some critique, I'll post URLs and see how they are received.
For issues of 'cosmetic concern' I guess I'll seek a support group elsewhere :)

Cheers,
- - marc