Subject: Re: [Leica] To cheer up: now in praise of Leica
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 08:25:39 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

On Sun, 25 Nov 2001 17:50:14 -0500 Don Dory <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
wrote:
> The real point is that many of us are using camera's and lenses 40 to 60
> years old as if they were fresh out the box, no worries.  The images are
> competitive, if we want to spend more money we can get state of the art
> lenses and use them on cameras 47 years old, or vice versa if we want an old
> look with new hardware.  I don't think any system out there can take the
> pounding that these Leica's take and keep ticking.  This includes the N****
> F.

The Nikon F (and F2, to a lesser degree) stand on their own reputation. Those
who don't consider them the BEST Slr (now speaking ONLY of reliability/toughness)
simply weren't around when they were built.  No other SLR came close in terms of
ruggedness.  The SL was close, but for other reasons didn't win the appreciation
of the pros.

The Nikon S2-S4, including the legendary SP, were every bit the equal of Leica
in terms of usability and reliability, and as Stephen Gandy has repeatedly insisted
(correctly, I might add) the lenses and bodies most always stood the "test of
time" in the closet better than the bullshit "soft" coatings, "whale" oil, and
all that other shit that Leica lenses suffer from.
 (thanks to Marc S. for MUCH knowledge on the subject of lens coatings)

Only lack of production (current) and lack of corporate (repair) support has
rendered these cameras lesser than the Leicas.  In that department, Leica wins
HANDS DOWN...

Walt in Denton (user of Nikon F/F2 since 1974 and Leica M since 1978--with
a liberal sprinkling of Nikon/Canon RF!!)