Subject: [Leica] hello and s/n mystery
From: HTFoto <htfoto@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 14:33:14 -0800 (PST)

I'm new to the LUG and wanted to say hi - have been
into photography for all of 3 years and have just been
bitten by the Leica bug.  I have a bit of (an
inconsequential) mystery here regarding my
just-acquired M6.  Its s/n is 16887xx, which according
to the list at Mr. Stephen Gandy's Cameraquest site
places its production around 1986.  From my searches
in the LUG archives, this should be two years before
production moved from Wetzlar to Solms... yet this M6
has no "Ernst Leitz Wetzlar" engraving on its top
plate, and the front dot says "Leica" rather than
"Leitz".  Sooooo... was this camera made in Wetzlar or
Solms?  Thanks for the help.

Harry