Subject: Re: [Leica] hello and s/n mystery
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 18:10:48 EST

In a message dated 11/16/01 6:02:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
htfoto@yahoo.com writes:

> I have a bit of (an
>  inconsequential) mystery here regarding my
>  just-acquired M6.  Its s/n is 16887xx, which according
>  to the list at Mr. Stephen Gandy's Cameraquest site
>  places its production around 1986.  From my searches
>  in the LUG archives, this should be two years before
>  production moved from Wetzlar to Solms... yet this M6
>  has no "Ernst Leitz Wetzlar" engraving on its top
>  plate, and the front dot says "Leica" rather than
>  "Leitz".  Sooooo... was this camera made in Wetzlar or
>  Solms?

Hello Harry:

The gnomes of Wetzlar/Solms strike again! My first M6 ser #16804XX has the
<Leica> red dot in the usual place between RF windows and written in white on
the top-plate is: <ERNST LEITZ WETZLAR GMBH>

I dunno the answer. Production is not supposed to have moved to Solms so
early. Thought my serial number, being close, might help someone else solve
the mystery.

Best, Seth    Lak 9