Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica O
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 12:00:52 -0400

At 10:58 AM 10/26/01 -0400, Dan Post wrote:
>I was just curious. I have always been fascinated with the idea of sitting
>and talking to someone who had revolutionary ideas. I will always regret
>that I never had the chance to see Albert Einstein at the donut shop he
>frequented in Princeton, and over a cruller and a cup of coffee, talk to him
>as one person to another. Or I would have loved to sit talking to Albert
>Camus over a fine Bourdeaux, not about philosophy, but things in general.
>Have you ever wondered what it might have been like to sit over a schnapps
>with Oskar Barnack, or Ernst Leitz some Sunday safternoon- while the rest of
>the world looked or listened to a football game, and just 'chew the fat'
>with them about what they thought about photography, or even life in
>general?

Well, not QUITE as good, but I do know folks who knew Barnack and
Kuppenbender and Merte and Sauer and Berek and Bertele -- fascinating tales
they tell!  Most of these folks were "revolutionary thinkers", just guys
who could move a bit outside the box to get a new perspective.

(On a similar thread, I know a fellow in Annapolis, Maryland, who "shook
the hand that shook the hand that shook the hand of John Paul Jones" -- but
that is a tale for a different day.)

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!