Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica O
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:05:04 -0400

At 09:24 AM 10/26/01 -0400, B. D. Colen wrote:
>My mistake - So would it be possible - theoretically - to squeeze a
>combined rf/vf into a Barnack, Marc?

I suspect this could have been done, but would have required a larger top
plate.  Interesting idea:  I'm not certain that it was ever seriously
considered:  the two design concepts -- evolutionary improvements in the
original Leica idea or revolutionary development of a new camera -- had
pretty much been locked in stone from 1936 when the Leica IV was built.
Had the Second World War not intervened, we quite possibly would have seen
the M cameras appearing in the early 1940's and the LTM cameras killed off
by the end of that decade. As it was, the end of the War found Leitz
struggling to survive, so the LTM cameras were held in production as sure
sellers and the M design was deferred for nine more years.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!

Message from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Leica O)