Subject: Re: [Leica] M camera parts now a long rant.
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 11:54:37 -0400

Ah, I can see the Jaguar commercial now..

"Jaguar, the ultimate driving experience!"

voice off camera:

Jaguar motor company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Ford motor company.
Jaguar's batteries are manufactured by Delco, a wholly owned subsidiary
of General Foods, a wholly owned subsidiary of Philip Morris (I'm making
this up.) Jaguar's tires are manufactured by Bridgestone Tire Co., a
wholly owned subsidiary of some other Japanese company. The leather on
the seats comes from steer raised by Jose D'Hendero, of Argentina, who
sells the skins to X corporation which processes them and sells them
to.....

Give it a rest....The question is not in what factory the lenses are
produced, but whether they have been judged by Nikon to meet Nikon's
optical and mechanical standards, making them 'worthy' of carrying the
Nikon brand name...

I, for one, would not give a rats patootie if Leica M lenses were
manufactured by someone else - say Cosina - according to leica's
designs, as long as they met Leicas standards and could pass Leica
inspection...What matters to me is the quality of the product, not its
assembly line lineage....