Subject: Re: [Leica] Keeping XTOL
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 16:25:20 -0400

Rei-
I hope I don't step on any toes but I have used a solution of plain old
sodium sulfite (3-4% solution) as a hypo clearing agent- and using the Kodak
Hypo test solution- get hypo free negs. I have some negatives that are 35
years old that look like the day I put 'em away, and I have no doubt they'll
last another 35!
When I used a rotary drum to do film, it was real easy- a quick rinse to
wash off the fixer, roll five minutes in the sodium sulfite solution, the
roll with fresh water, with at least three changes.
I would take a couple of drops of the hypo test solution, put it in a small
flask with about 50ml of water, then let the film drip into the flask- if
the test solution stays purple, you are okay. if it dulls or turns orange,
then there are traces of fixer- give it another five minute rinse!!
Nothing magical, or high tech- and it the hypo test recipe works with prints
as well-- good visual clue if your washes are effective, and it seems to
work.... at least it has for many years!!
I got the recipe in one of Kodaks little books- if you cannot find it,let me
know and I'll dig it out for you!
Dan