Subject: [Leica] R7 vs RTS II
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 07:24:00 -0400

>I have an opportunity to keep either an R7 or a Contax RTSII to
compliment
>my M's. Do any of you have experience with both cameras and an opinion
on
>which is more desirable?

I used to sell the RTS II when it was new. It's a wonderfully solid and
nicely handling body every bit up to Leica standards, provided you don't
need spot metering.

I have such a soft spot for it that I almost got one again a couple of
years ago.  Then I asked about service support on the Contax list and
was told that parts support is pretty much non-existant.  In fact I was
laughed at for even asking since it has been discontinued for more than
ten years. Perhaps Bob Shell and others are right that it is expecting
too much, but for that reason alone I'd be happier with Leica and in
fact i turned around and built up my M system instead.

On the other hand, RTS IIs are pleantiful enough that parts availability
might not matter to you. In addition, if you are on a budget, Contax MF
Zeiss glass is a bargain and is likely to become even more so as the AF
Contaxes take over (or production ceases altogether from erosion of the
brand's niche).

For what it's worth,

Simon Stevens