Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: 35-70mm zoom and the no carry on question.
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 22:18:57 +0200

Well, business travellers may make up only a minority of the seats but the
average business class ticket costs 5-6 times as much as an economy ticket. When
I fly to New York on business the ticket is 3000 Swiss Francs; a seat on the
same plane can be had for 600-700 Francs if you fly economy, book early, stay
over Saturday night etc.

Unfortunately for the airlines, many companies were already reducing business
travel for cost reasons before the September 11 attacks. My employer has long
encouraged the use of video conferencing for internal meetings. Now there is the
added security dimension, which basically means that we are supposed to fly
around as usual in connection with client visits, but limit travel for internal
meetings to the absolute minimum. This is bad news for an airline like Swissair,
which has always relied on business travellers for a disproportionate share of
revenues.

Nathan