Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Film-eating insects?
From: Dennis Painter <dennis@hale-pohaku.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 21:08:50 -0700

"C.L.Zeni" wrote:

> At 09:19 PM 8/21/2001, you wrote:
> >Browsing through a 1969 edition of "The Leica & Leicaflex Way" by Andrew
> >Matheson (Focal Press) I read (on page 299):
> >"Use adequate precautions when processing film in hot climates and keep even
> >developed films well protected against insects and other creatures.
> >Film-eating insects, incidentally, are not confined to the tropics; they are
> >just as abundant in the short summer in certain Arctic countries such as
> >Alaska and Greenland."
> >Is there an entomologist in the house? What insects eat film?
> >Oliver Bryk
>
> I forwarded this message to my friend Dr. J.W. Smith, entomologist with the
> United States Dept of Agriculture.  His reply:
>
> begin quote
> Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Film-eating insects?
>
> I've never heard of such a thing -- not to say it can't exist -- because the
> drugstore beetle can eat poisons that would kill most humans.  Bet it's
> either a beetle or a bark louse.
>
> end quote
>
> That's one bug man's take on it...
>
> --
> Craig Zeni -

I thought the film emulsion was based on gelatine. I can imagine quite a few bugs
would eat that. I think your friend was considering the whole thing, base and
all. I doubt if any insect would eat the base. What is it? some sort of
polyester? (I know, the Kodak site will tell someone the answer to this ;-)

Dennis