Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Film-eating insects?
From: "C.L.Zeni" <clzeni@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 09:00:26 -0400

At 09:19 PM 8/21/2001, you wrote:
>Browsing through a 1969 edition of "The Leica & Leicaflex Way" by Andrew
>Matheson (Focal Press) I read (on page 299):
>"Use adequate precautions when processing film in hot climates and keep even
>developed films well protected against insects and other creatures.
>Film-eating insects, incidentally, are not confined to the tropics; they are
>just as abundant in the short summer in certain Arctic countries such as
>Alaska and Greenland."
>Is there an entomologist in the house? What insects eat film?
>Oliver Bryk

I forwarded this message to my friend Dr. J.W. Smith, entomologist with the
United States Dept of Agriculture.  His reply:

begin quote

I've never heard of such a thing -- not to say it can't exist -- because the
drugstore beetle can eat poisons that would kill most humans.  Bet it's
either a beetle or a bark louse.

end quote

That's one bug man's take on it...

- --
Craig Zeni - REPLY TO -->> clzeni at mindspring dot com
http://www.trainweb.org/zeniphotos/zenihome.html
http://www.mindspring.com/~clzeni/index.html

This sig. line sanitized for your protection.

Replies: Reply from Dennis Painter <dennis@hale-pohaku.com> (Re: [Leica] OT: Film-eating insects?)