Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Quality versus Medium Format
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 12:17:02 -0700

Jeff Moore wrote:

> 2001-08-01-22:10:26 Mark Rabiner:
> > Frankly i find it astounding that so many of the best people find acreage on the
> > light table so crucial to how their work goes over to the extent that they would
> > use such a clunky piece of trash as a Mamiya 67 RB or RZ.
>
> Those are big and huge and it's hard to imagine using one anywhere but
> bolted to a tripod in a studio.  But the Mamiya "Texas Leica"s -- the
> 6 and now 7 -- they're a pleasing package.  Except -- I never seem to
> take as good pictures with one as with a Leica.  Is it just a question
> of needing more practice, but I don't gravitate to the Mamiya because
> I don't do so well with it and I don't do so well with it because I
> don't use it so much?  Or is it that it's just that little bit more
> clunky to use?  I know I resent the lack of f/1.4 (or even f/2.0, or
> 2.8) lenses;  but when I happen to "hit" with a 6x7cm hunk of
> silver-rich B&W film, the result is really pleasing.  But I don't hit
> so much.  O Bother.

You'd get a lot more bang for your buck with the elegant Swedish 3 inch cube of
a package called a Hasselblad.
Look in it theres a mirror in there.
Fits nicely in the palm of your hand.
In the front of it nicely bayonets glass which when you read it says
CARL ZEISS T*
You could shoot with worse.
Oh and you can bolt it down to a tripod too if you care to!

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/