Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Quality versus Medium Format
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 19:10:26 -0700

><Snip>
>
> Herb Ritts shot the 1999 Pirelli calendar using a Mamiya RZ... a number of
> shots using the 150/3.5.    I'm not sure about you, but when I saw the
> calendar, I certainly said, amongst other things..."WOW!"
>
> Kim

Both Herb Ritts and Anne Leibowitz have mentioned much of the allure of 6x7 is
it's incredible impact on the light table.
This is why photographers use 6x7. I'd go 645 any day.
It use to be that the additional average did not make up for Mamiyas low
contrast optics.
But people needed that impact on the light table and would use them anyway.
Now their optics are more than OK. They cost a lot more and have been upgraded.
Frankly i find it astounding that so many of the best people find acreage on the
light table so crucial to how their work goes over to the extent that they would
use such a clunky piece of trash as a Mamiya 67 RB or RZ.
Hell Ritts and Leibowitz are more famous than just about anyone they'd ever
photograph, who do they need to impress?
"Only as good as their last image" would be what's on their minds.

The rangefinder i can get excited about. The RB's and RZ's put me off.
A 6x6 camera needs to be twice the size to make it 6x7?
But the fact is a 6x7 Looks miraculously twice the size on the light table.
It's as if you need a Loup to see 6x6 but don't' need one to see 6x7.
No it makes no statistical sense.

I've been there making the presentations and i know how it feels.
I've made some of mine by showing up with a tray so what they first see are
projected images from 35mm transparencies.
NOT laid out on a light table where larger slides of half the quality will have
twice the impact.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA