Subject: [Leica] Fuji Neopan 1600 & other Devopment Adventures
From: Tom Finnegan <TomF@piengr.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 13:56:40 -0700

I just thought I'd add a little tidbit to the earlier discussions on Neopan
1600. I found, as others did as well, that I was getting very dense negs
when using my Delta 3200 development starting times. I then remembered some
earlier posts by Johnny about using XTOL split development. I dug up his
posts and pulled out my copy of the 'Film Development Cookbook' and decided
to give it a go. Following Johnny's recommendations I developed for about
2/3 of my normal time, followed by 5 minutes in the David Vestal split d-76
soltion B.  This appeared to do a very good job of taming the highlights.

Following this intial apparent sucess I decided to experiment a bit further.
I took a couple rolls of PanF+ I had shot in bright contrasty light and
following the same basic steps tried out split Rodinal development. Again,
the high contrast seemed to be tamed well.

Just something to consider and perhaps play with a bit if you find yourself
shooting in contrasty situations with contrasty film. I'm not sure off hand
which developers would or wouldn't work well with split development, but
it's definately not just D-23 or D-76.

Tom Finnegan
Seattle