Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Anthony' photos
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 22:07:03 +0200

Shoter writes:

> The first question I have for people is, why
> random access?

Those who have asked me about it have explained that they have a handful of
images they like best and they'd like an easy way to get to them directly.

> Personally I like to control the order in which
> the viewer sees the images.  The strategically
> laid out set of images and greatly improve one's
> viewing experince.

If you have a theme or connection between photos, that makes sense.  Mine are
entirely random and unconnected, though, so there is no reason for me to control
the order in which they are seen.

> If one must give random access, take a look at the
> Micromedia photographer templates for Dreamweaver ...

I have spent many hours pruning and cleaning the absolutely incredible mess that
Dreamweaver generates for HTML, and I have no desire whatsoever to go anywhere
near that piece of junk unless I am paid for it (as I was the last time I
endured it).

> Using JavaScript, display the image the user
> clicks on in a "frame" above the four thumbnails.

What about users that don't have Javascript?  My current gallery has the merit
of being usable even without Javascript.  In fact, that is true for almost the
entire site.

Replies: Reply from shooter@linux-info.net (Re: [Leica] Re: Anthony' photos)
Message from Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net> ([Leica] Re: Anthony' photos)
Message from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Anthony' photos)