Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Anthony' photos
From: shooter@linux-info.net
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 10:15:07 -0400

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 06:34:48AM +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:
> Eric writes:
>
> I'm trying to figure out some elegant way of allowing random access to the
> photos, but I haven't come up with anything yet.  I don't like the methods I see
> used on other sites.  Thumbnails take too long to load, separate frames clutter
> the screen, etc.  I am open to suggestions (several visitors have asked for a
> way to get to images randomly--right now the only way to do that is to type the
> URL of the desired image directly).

The first question I have for people is, why random access?  Personally I like to control the order in which the viewer sees the images.  The strategically laid out set of images and greatly improve one's viewing experince.  Personal oppion...

If one must give random access, take a look at the Micromedia photographer templates for Dreamweaver, it is viewable on the web at: http://www.macromedia.com/software/dreamweaver/download/templates/  I am thinking, take the four images they have and display that on every page.  Add to the four images an arrow on the left and right to "roll" through all the other images and preload all the images.  Using JavaScript, display the image the user clicks on in a "frame" above the four thumbnails.  The key to success is to preload all the thumbnails and then the larger images.

Shoter

Replies: Reply from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Anthony' photos)
Message from Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net> ([Leica] Re: Anthony' photos)
Message from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Anthony' photos)