Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Anthony' photos
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 06:34:48 +0200

Eric writes:

> First...great pictures.  I enjoyed looking at
> your work.

Thanks!

> I like how you set up the navigation so you could
> either click on next or simply the picture itself.

Thanks again.

I'm trying to figure out some elegant way of allowing random access to the
photos, but I haven't come up with anything yet.  I don't like the methods I see
used on other sites.  Thumbnails take too long to load, separate frames clutter
the screen, etc.  I am open to suggestions (several visitors have asked for a
way to get to images randomly--right now the only way to do that is to type the
URL of the desired image directly).

> Keep in mind that people running 800x600 (such
> as myself) don't have 800x600 viewable area.
> The browser takes up a bit of room on the top
> and side.  So I found myself constantly having
> to scroll and couldn't see your images as a
> whole in one view.

True, but usually the stuff around the edges isn't super-critical to the
composition.  In MSIE (and other browsers), you can switch to full-screen mode,
which helps a bit.

The thing is that Web resolutions are so poor that going any smaller cuts stuff
out of the image.  For example, in a group shot, going 640x480 makes the details
of individuals in the group hard to see.  It's frustrating when you know what
the _original_ image looked like.

About 1/3 of visitors these days are running 1024x768, which is a bit more
comfortable size-wise.  Whether or not that works for you depends on the
physical size of your monitor and your own viewing comfort.  I run 1600x1200 on
a 20" monitor, viewed from about 18", and that seems to work out ideally.

Replies: Reply from shooter@linux-info.net (Re: [Leica] Re: Anthony' photos)
Message from Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net> ([Leica] Re: Anthony' photos)
Message from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Anthony' photos)
Message from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: Anthony' photos)