Subject: RE: [Leica] Warranty & New vs. Used
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 14:56:58 -0700

Kevin, I disagree..... Leica USA will always be there because the US market
is so large.  If we all bought Leica Gray market, Leica USA would not close
shop.  They would restructure their costs in a different way.  The
associated costs of Leica USA would be borne by the parent, and effect world
wide cost/pricing.  There are costs in doing biz in the USA..... parts,
warranty service, etc..  But those costs exist because the equipment is here
and users are here, not because it was bought here.

A global business plan to consolidate all costs under the parent
organization would be quickly squashed.  I have had some experience in
similar matters.  The pride and power of the "defeated" local organizations
becomes such a big deal that the effect of good business practices is lost.

The Leica system is a parochial local profit system based upon the concept
of producing a profit on a local basis.  Multiply that profit % by the cost
and you develop higher prices.  Returning the cost of overhead services (
warranty, repair, S+A, parts) to the parent adds NOTHING to the total costs
( remember the costs are the same, it is the allocation of those costs that
we argue).  It would lower and more importantly, make more CONSISTENT the
cost throughout the world.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net