Subject: RE: [Leica] Warranty & New vs. Used
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 18:19:23 -0400

> Rather, I see it as paying for a valuable service if you choose.

If I choose, yes, and I choose not to.

> Apparently what you want is to bypass the Leica USA costs while
> receiving their benefits.

What benefits am I receiving from Leica USA?

> >And...why DO US dealers pay more? Well, because Leica USA CHARGES them
> >more. Duh.

> And your point is?

Leica USA is gouging.  Haven't you been paying attention?

>> If everyone buys gray market, there are no more USA dealers.
>My gawd, that's a completely silly statement.

> Instead of descending into insults, try arguing your position
> with facts and logic.

Telling you I believe a statement is silly is not an insult.  You obviously
have some stake in this that I don't understand, nor do I care to.

> I might have better said: If everyone buys gray market, there is
> no Leica USA.

That's silly too.  Leica MUST have a presence here in the US if they expect
to sell cameras in the US, plain and simple.  This is a global economy.
Leica isn't going to "abandon" the largest market for its products.

> There will still be a handful of gray market dealers, but isn't it
> nice to have a local shop where you can see the equipment before
> you buy from a gray market mail-order firm?

No.

> Isn't it nice to have a choice whether or not to buy with a warranty?

I guess, but if I buy Leica USA only, I have no choice.

> The point is that without Leica USA, an out-of-stock body, lens,
> or repair part may take 8-12 weeks to arrive (from personal
> experience with German companies).  Even if you use one of the
> superb non-Leica techs to repair your camera, they have to get
> parts from somewhere, don't they?

Er, yeah, Leica AG.  This is so foolish.  If there is money to be made from
something, someone will provide the service.  Simple business 101.  Leica
isn't doing this as a philanthropic endeavor.

>I guess I don't understand your hostility towards Leica USA.

It's not hostility.  What I don't like is price gouging.