Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Warranty & New vs. Used
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 16:52:49 -0400

> Seth wrote:
> >> Ask our Australian buddies how much Leica gear costs.
>
> Austin responded:
> >Yeah, but I'm talking about US, not Australia.  I don't know much about
> >Australia, except that it's "down under".  Perhaps, the oppressive import
> >duties etc. is the reason it is "down under" ;-)
>
> But Austin, in the post that spurred this exchange you asked:
>
> >How come no other country gets "abused", price wise, like the US does for
> >camera goods?
>
> And when folks point out that in certain other countries Leica gear costs
> even more than in the US, you respond: "Yeay, but I'm talking
> about the US,
> not about those other places"
>
> What kind of double talk is that?

It's not doubletalk.  We weren't talking about government taxes, we were
talking about manufacturer/importer pricing policies.  Entirely different
gouge.

> The fact is that Leica prices are *not* higher in the US than
> anywhere else
> in the world. The stuff costs more than in certain places (Germany, Hong
> Kong) and less than in others (France, Australia).

What are you talking about?  The prices in HK are substantially lower than
in the US.

Replies: Reply from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> (RE: [Leica] Re: Warranty & New vs. Used)