Subject: [Leica] beat the fungus with UV
From: "Robert Appleby Personal" <rob@robertappleby.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 09:11:02 +0200

I've found that UV _filters_ protect against fungus! The fungus grows on the
filter and not on the lens front element. They don't protect the rear
element of course.

Just another advantage of UV filters! After a while you can use them as
softars.

I'm moving to India in a couple of months time and the fungus thing has been
on my mind. From what I've seen, the cabinet with a 40W lightbulb in it is
the best solution. That's what a lot of my photographer friends in Bombay
do.

Or, if you're living in a _hot_ humid climate, just leaving your stuff out
in the sun occasionally should do the trick. Completely drying out your
gear. Perhaps behind a window pane if you're worried about the humidity.

But I suspect if you use your equipment regularly - walk around with it on a
strap round your neck going click click click - then it'll be pretty much
OK. I think the fungus thing comes up mainly with gear that doesn't get used
much.

Rob.