Subject: [Leica] film scanner recommendation
From: "Robert Appleby Personal" <rob@robertappleby.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 09:11:43 +0200

>Tina, I have a LS-2000, and I'm seriously thinking of getting the
>LS-4000. What are the main differences and improvements (if any) you
>have noticed in the new 4000?
>
>Thanks (and congratulations for your work!).
>

>Daniele Coliva
>Bologna, Italia
>dcoliva@jura.dsnet.it

Hi, Daniele -

The 4000 has a great dynamic range and can scan at higher dpi.  Files that
used to be 25 MB at maximum scanning resolution with the 2000 are 65 MB
with the 4000.  I've also ordered the roll-film adapter that is supposed to
be here this week.  I'll be able to scan in a whole roll of uncut film to
make contact sheets and edit them quickly.  The added grain reduction
software and color restoration software also work great.

Hope this helps!

Tina

Note that if you use the Silverfast plug-in you can scan at 5400 dpi with
the LS-2000 which gives an over 100Mb file. More than I would be interested
in handling!
Silverfast also allows you to focus the scanner on any part of the image and
I have found the results to be very good.

Rob
Modena, Italy (not so far from Bologna Italy).

Replies: Reply from Daniele Coliva <dcoliva@jura.dsnet.it> (Re: [Leica] film scanner recommendation)