Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Which Ultra-Wide, Heliar 15mm or Heliar 12mm
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 12:22:21 +0200

>Mark,
>I think you have the 24M ?
>It is INCREDIBLE at f4, 5.6, 8.
>At higher apertures I seem to get great overall sharpness but NOT the
>same kind of incredible sharpness that occurs at the mid-apertures. Not
>that its bad when stopped down, its just noticably better from f4-f8.
>
>Henry

If you have a couple of frames left over on a film, do shot  a series
of newpaper pages starting with the lens fully open and make a shot
for every stop. Make sure that the page is flat and that you shoot at
an angle of 90° from the page, both vertically and horizontally (i.e.
your camera at the same heigth as the center of the page etc). Make
sure the light is even and expose as indicated by a grey card, but if
you have none close down 1 or two stops from the reading the page
gives you with an M6 meter (two stops if no dark pictures on the
page). If you test wide angle lenses, you want to make sure there are
some large size headlines on the page. Keep the page just in case you
want to test another lens later, it makes comparisons so much easier.
I do my tests with Delta 100 developed in Xtol 1+1 and I do 16x
enlargements on 9.5 x 12 inch paper making sure that one corner of
the negative and the centre is on the print. (You don't need four
corners, and certainly not the centre only). OK, for some types of
photography corners are not that important (portraits!) VERY
IMPORTANT: When enlarging,  put the negative so that the part you
want to enlarge is in the middle of the negative holder because
otherwise the print quality may be degraded by your enlarger lens.

Very interesting results, beats MTF (or whatever they are called)
curves. That test was the final nail in my 15mm Heliar's coffin.
Confirmed what I had been suspecting

Chris
- --
Christer Almqvist