Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Which Ultra-Wide, Heliar 15mm or Heliar 12mm
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 13:03:37 -0700

><Snip>
> Mark,
> I think you have the 24M ?
> It is INCREDIBLE at f4, 5.6, 8.
> At higher apertures I seem to get great overall sharpness but NOT the
> same kind of incredible sharpness that occurs at the mid-apertures. Not
> that its bad when stopped down, its just noticably better from f4-f8.
>
> Henry

I actually don't stop down more than i really have to but when street shooting
that is what "zone focusing" is all about.
I've set up an area in front of me. 4ft to infinity at f8 with the 24. When i go
around the corner i know I've got all that area in focus And F8 is not too bad.
F11 gives you 3 ft. to infinity on a sunny day, Henry! that's pretty doable. And
with the 24 moving something away a foot really makes it get smaller. Erwin has
written about infinity better not being important when you zone focus like this.
He wrote with wides if you want infinity in focus then focus on infinity. But i
can live with backgrounds less sharp its for foregrounds i hate to see fall off
right next to where i sign my name.

Off to shoot macros of telephone poles.

Mark Rabiner
F16 gives you the whole shebang 28" to infinity in focus!
but i love "facades" and i open up for them.

Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/