Subject: Re: [Leica] UK VAT question.
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 05:35:05 -0700

Simon Stevens wrote:
> I sent two framed photographs (taken with a Leica, OT element) to my
> Father who lives in the UK for his 70th Birthday and I just heard back
> from him. Apparently, the British authorities (Inland Revenue?) charged
> him 17.5% on the insured value of the package even though it was clearly
> marked on the customs form as a gift. I feel pretty bad about this
> because I overinsured it, not knowing that this would happen.<<<<<<<

Hi Simon,

Best bet considering your dad would have to deal with overzealous customs
bureaucrats is forget it and send your dad the money he was screwed for.

The paper work, postage and phone calls wont likely get the money back and
will only cause a greater deal of frustration in attempting to deal with a
customs official.
ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant