Subject: Re: [Leica] Low Light Lens Dilemma: 35 Lux or Noctilux?
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 19:40:02 -0700

ara ayer wrote:

> but I'm concerned its just an "art" lens and not something one can rely on
to bring home images consistently and competently.<<<<<

ara,
The lens is only as good as your ability to use it.  If it doesn't come home
with magnificent results then you've failed to use it properly!

The Noctilux is nothing more than a cold piece of glass and metal and you're
the one who makes it work to capture consistent images, if it doesn't guess
who everyone will point their finger at! ;-) Sure as hell wont be the lens!

>>>My limited experience with the NOC game me great
> images - that were unlike any pictures I've ever taken
> - but my experience (2 rolls) was brief and I don't
> know if the NOC an even performer in the long haul
> (like the 35mm ASH LUX).<<<<<<<

Well two rolls of film aren't going to tell you a hell of lot and as far as
being an even performer for the long haul I've used mine since it arrived on
the scene in Canada early 70's and it's been used all over the world on
working assignments and never failed me and gave me images where those
without it would've failed.

> your f/1 buddy when the sun goes down/lights dim...or
> are you stoking your Summicrons w/ high speed film or
> slipping on a LUX?<<<<<<<

heck why wait till the sun goes down, I use mine as my everyday working 50mm
lens! it's a work horse for me and I rarely go anywhere without it on an M6
with a RapidWinder and grip..

> functional as my Nikon fish-eye...nice every once and
> a while - but not my first choice for the job.<<<<<<

I can't understand why you think it'll sit around on the shelf like a
fish-eye, as they are two completely different tools of the trade.

I do believe you said most of what you'll be shooting was on the street at
night and in bars, jazz clubs or whatever and if you are sincere about that
kind of local, then why the humming and questioning when you know what the
answer is!

The Noctilux, get it, use it and stop beating your head against the wall. If
you don't like it, sell it and you'll probably be money ahead!.

ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant