Subject: Re: [Leica] UK VAT question.
From: "clive sanbrook" <clive.sanbrook@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 16:14:18 +0100

The organisation involved would be HM Customs & Excise (HM = Her Majesty i.e
the Queen )  These are the same people who are in charge of catching
smugglers etc. so can seem a bit hard at times - but they are fair so an
appeal for information and assistance might work.

They have a web site which might be useful as a point of contact
http//www.hmce.gov.uk/

I have just checked  in my VAT reference book - very thick & somewhat
unclear at times ;-))  - VAT is charged to an end user (normally 17.5% but
certain goods are subject to 5%

The only concession for gifts imported via postal packets is if they are
under
100 ECU in value (ECU is the currency which supposedly makes business life
simple for all  the EU members)

Sorry, but don't know what the ECU conversion rate is at the moment -
perhaps someone else can help with that.

Ted Grants suggestion might be simplest in the long run !

hope this helps a little.  BTW was the gift liked apart from the hassle? at
least it's provided a saga to add to the family history

Regards

Clive Sanbrook

but ))----- Original Message -----

Message from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] UK VAT question.)