Subject: Re: [Leica] Jesse Hellman's exhibit at the Peabody
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 09:40:05 -0500

> If any LUGgers local to the Baltimore area missed Jesse Helman's opening at
> the Peabody last night, I highly encourage you to see these beautiful prints
> while they are there.  For out of town LUGgers, the exhibit is worth a trip
> to Charm City.
>
> These are some of the finest b&w prints I have ever seen.  They've restored
> my faith that producing rich prints ala HCB and the old masters is still
> possible.  Jesse shot nearly all of them with a 50 summicron and TMZ souped
> in Xtol.  But his secret weapon appears to be the notorious Rabiner
> split-grade printing.  I for one am now sold, and eagerly await Mark's book
> on the subject (you ARE writing a book on it, aren't you Mark?  Pretty
> please?!).
>
> Apart from their technical merits, the photographs are brilliantly composed
> and capture candid moments with performing artists with a sensitivity and
> intimacy that exposes Jesse's passion for the genre.  Fine, fine work, not
> to be missed.
>
> Cheers,
> Dan

I have to second everything Dan has said and add that I thought the quality
of the 45 prints on display are stunning and the artistic composition very
compelling.

If anybody is in the Baltimore area, stopping by the Peabody to view this
emerging artists work is a must. They will be on display for the next two
months.

Steve
Annapolis