Subject: [Leica] Summitar Lens Hood
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 19:24:45 -0800

At 05:11 PM 02/18/2001 -0800, "Fred Dickinson"
<Fred.Dickinson@btinternet.com> asks:

>Does anyone know of an alternative lens hood for a Summitar 50mm lens. I am
>using a barn door type at present, but find it rather large and heavy, but
>there is no filter thread on my lens, so I can't use a conventional hood.

Fred:  My solution was to scrounge photo stores' used bins for a Series VI
slip-on hood/filter holder that would fit on the lens.  Very cheap, works
just fine, and you don't have to pay billions of dollars competing with
collectors.  When I used a IIIf as my main camera, I used two Series VI
hoods of different diameters for a Summitar and two other lenses. It also
meant that I only needed one set of filters I could use on all the
lenses.  And only two (deep breath) UV f*lt*rs.

Downsides:  Taking the hood on and off the lens may eventually leave some
slight bright marks on the end of the barrel.  Usually the aluminum slip-on
hood doesn't badly mess up the hard chrome plating on most of the older
lenses.  If your lens is in collector condition, this may not be the way to
go.  If you actually take pictures with the lens, who cares?  Also, using a
cheap aftermarket accessory detracts slightly from the snob appeal of using
the Leica.  If you actually take pictures with it, who cares?

The barn-door shade probably provides a little better shading, because it's
been optimized for the most shading without vignetting on the
Summitar.  The Series VI hoods seem to be set for a 35mm lens or
thereabouts.  For most pictures, this won't matter.  If you are shooting
with the sun just out of the frame, use the barn door shade.

Also, beware of some of the older Series VI filters you can get used--some
of them are uncoated, thick, and not very good.  I don' t know if  Series
VI stuff is available new any more.  Any camera store that's been around
for several decades probably has a few kicking around in the "used" and
"bargain" accessories bins.

NOTICE:  The preceding post takes no universal position, pro or con, on the
use of UV f*lt*rs.  Using them on my old LTM lenses seemed a good idea,
since the coating on these lenses is said to be softer than on modern
lenses.  Protecting them and therefore needing to clean them much less
often seems to have paid off.  My old lenses do not have the "light
cleaning marks" often noted on a Certain Auction Site We Shall Not Mention,
so I must have done something right.

- --Peter Klein
Greasy-fingered in Seattle