Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Banff
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 19:42:35 -0800

Snow or sand is one situation where incident metering is often superior to
reflected-light metering, unless you have a spot meter.  Of course, this is
only possible if you have a separate meter.  You don't need to carry around
a gray card, just the meter.

Using your hand and opening up one stop (or a bit more if you're
dark-skinned) is the next-best thing with either a separate meter or an
in-camera meter.  Using regular reflected-light metering technique is
liable to get you perfect medium-gray snow.

If you've got to shoot fast in bright light in these situations, it's
basically sunny 16 plus one stop, or as somebody already said, sunny 22.

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA

At 01:19 PM 02/17/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> says:
>It is a possibility, although I do not want to drag one around. Instead, I use
>my hand and open up one stop if there is nothing suitable to meter on. But
>usually there is the road surface, or a tree or something else that can
>act as a
>grey card.
>
>Nathan
>
>goldframe1@yahoo.com wrote: