Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 HM choice
From: Nathan Wajsman <belgiangator@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 06:05:48 -0800 (PST)

Simon,

There are no significant differences between the two
for a non-flash user like you. The TTL has a larger
shutter speed dial which turns in the opposite
direction from the traditional M6. And it has a dot
between the two arrows/triangles in the meter display
in the viewfinder to indicate correct exposure. Some
people like those two differences, others hate them,
it is a matter of taste.

As for the rarity of the non-TTL M6HM, consensus has
it that around 3100 units were made. Some dealers have
been asking slightly inflated prices for them since
the discontinuation of the non-TTL version, but I
don't know about the prices for the ones that actually
change hands. In my view, 3100 is too large a number
to impart a real rarity value. I own one of the
"classic" M6HMs but do not consider it part of my
assets for retirement ;-)

Since you have the chance to try the TTL version, you
should do that and buy the one that you like best,
without regard to any possible collector value.

Nathan

http://www.totalise.otc-uk.com/holidays/HolidayDetails.asp?HolidayID=900372