Subject: Re: [Leica] the one-second test
From: Dave Jenkins <djphoto@vol.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 18:26:51 -0500

Martin Howard wrote:

I realize I'm going to get thoroughly publicly roasted for admitting
this
 -- especially by Johnny Deadman -- but I don't think Atget's photos do
work.
They only work because they are a historical record, because we
recognize
significance as a result of subsequent social change, but as photographs
in
their own right, I find many of them quite bland, banal, and boring.
The
Eggleston of the 1910s, in black and white.

Atget's photographs have stood the test of time. You do not judge them.
They judge you.

Dave Jenkins

Replies: Reply from Jesse Hellman <hellman@home.com> (Re: [Leica] the one-second test)
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] the one-second test)