Subject: [Leica] Shutterbug
From: Dave Jenkins <djphoto@vol.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 08:23:15 -0500

Sam wrote:

I have watched Shutterbug decline from a pre-ebay "buy and sell"
publication. . ."Shutterbug Ads", If I recall. . .and on bright  yellow
stock!  Made many satisfying transactions and it was a "must  read"
monthly event.

(This is an excerpt from an article I wrote titled "Evaluating the Photo
Magazines."  Funny. . .I can't get anyone to publish it!)

"Shutterbug  is probably Popular Photography's chief rival these days,
seemingly gaining pages with every issue.  It is a worthy rival for the
present Pop Photo.  It would not have been for the old one (before Pop
Photo was taken over by the Modern Photography editorial staff).  I read
it for the equipment ads, the Roger Hicks articles, and the occasional
worthwhile article by other writers.  It is mostly written at the
golly-gee-whiz basic amateur level and becomes tiresome very quickly.

I liked Shutterbug better years ago when most of the editorial content
was in the form of columns by a group of genuine eccentrics who were
frequently off the wall but seldom bland."