Subject: [Leica] Leica & Fuji
From: Alexy Khrabrov <alexy.khrabrov@setup.org>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 10:39:57 -0500 (EST)

I still cannot believe my eyes seeing a Leica rebadged from Fuji.
I weigh them both in my hand and they weigh the same. STILL, the
anti-glare coating is DIFFERENT.  But the aspherical lens seems
the same.  The only idea which comes to mind is the glass is
zeiss but all else is the same.
Leica's main asset is its brand; they are aware of it by adding
that retro-rubber grip, also useful (but not worth extra $150
for digilux 4.3 v. finepix 4700.  The only difference in packaging
is 32 MB SmartMedia for Leica v. 16 MB for finepix, but 4 Ni-MH
batteries for the latter v. only 2 for the former).

If indeed even the lens are
the same, how on Earth they intended to explain it?  If Leica is
more proficient with optics and mechanics as it always was, and
probably before Fujifilm existed, it's stunning to see such a
shameless rebadging!  Does anybody have an insight on why is it
happening?  The brand name has its magic, so I still ponder
whether I'll send the one with the red dot back or will give
finepix as a present and will keep the leica.  But I'd feel much
better about keeping it if I'd knew why the prices differ!  And
NY distributors claim Leica has Zeiss lens...  Any optical experts
who can suggests more tests for lens difference?

The barrel distortion in wide-angle mode is ugly for close objects.
If you shoot a window from 1 meter away on wide-angle, the barrel
is disgusting.  But are there any pocket-sized zooms which avoid it?
Apparently my hopes of a better lens with less distortion were
idealistic, yet if the glass is better, perhaps overall picture
quality can be better in certain cases?