Subject: [Leica] digilux 4.3 v. finepix 4700: zeiss lens?
From: Alexy Khrabrov <alexy.khrabrov@setup.org>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 21:42:39 -0500 (EST)

I bought fujii finepix 4700 and then saw leica digilux 4.3
looking exactly the same.  However, it said it has a carl zeiss
lens, and is priced about $100 more than finepix 4700.

I got digilux as well and see the only visual differences are:

- -- champagne color metal for diiglux v. silver for finepix
- -- digilux has leica's retro-style rubber grip
- -- digilux has 7 holes for microphone v. 6 for finepix :-))

Now, the interesting thing is the lens of course.  Visual inspection:

Finepix's lens is labeled on the front of the lens as
super fujinon and f/zoom data right on it.
Leica's lens is not labeled, just the same f/zoom data
on the camera body under it.  Lens design looks just the same,
BUT the color of the coating differs: fuji gives a magenta sparkle,
while leica is neutral-silvery.

Before I go mad trying to see a difference in teh lens to decide which
one I should send back, can somebodyy please clarify?

What is the best way to get leica to admit they rebadged the whole thing
with some japanese lens if they really did?  That would be a terrible,
terrible shame...  And if super fujinon is carl zeiss, than it's a fine pix
story for Bild: Old man Zeiss' last Tokyo affair with Ms. Fujinon...  :-))

Cheers,
Alexy Khrabrov :: www.suffix.com

Replies: Reply from "Wilber Jeffcoat" <wilber@jeffcoatphotography.com> (Re: [Leica] digilux 4.3 v. finepix 4700: zeiss lens?)