Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Country of Manufacture
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 16:16:44 -0800

Stephen Gandy wrote:
> [...]
biased AGAINST gaining knowledge about Leica, if we as consumers dare to wonder how much
of the "made in Germany" really is made in Germany.  Ironically  Ted in past has
considered  the wonders of his underwear an appropriate  LUG topic, but yet today he gets
upset of if anyone dare asks where Leicas are manufactured, or who does the
subassembly.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

C'mon Stephen,
You know that's BS. I'm not the least bit bias nor do I give a flying hoop where the
cameras are made, nor that you and others want to figure out the reasons why the cameras
are not completely made in germany. I just think this is another one of those dumb ass
topics that doesn't relate one iota to being a "Leica User!"  Like "taking pictures with
the camera. And I'm certainly not trying to stop anyone from learning about Leica being
built anywhere . Don't read things into my post that isn't there.

Hell it's never mattered to me who made the cameras, we made them here in Canada for a
bunch of years and the resurrection of the M4 occurred here. And for heaven sake Portugal
has been involved in manufacturing some aspects of the M and R cameras for some years. It
isn't all of a sudden a revelation!

And if you were to tell me,  you of all people, weren't aware of those Leica facts I'd
almost think you were telling a little white ...... !

appropriate  LUG topic, <<<<

As for the "under short cleaning cloth,?"  Sure it's a worth while topic from real life
experience of acquiring free lens cleaning material for those precious Leica lenses some
LUGNUTS carry on about. You unfortunately don't take this seriously! But the information
is passed on most sincerely .
.
Due to the "what cleaning cloth do you recommend topic?" that arrives on the screen about
every three or four months, sometimes weeks, I pass on my experience of using old cotton
under shorts for about the past 40 years  on my Leica glass and that of many other types
of cameras. It's clean, soft and free!

So what's your problem of giving free advice from a long time Leica User, to those who
wish to clean their lenses! At least it may save them some money for film  rather than
buying an exorbitantly over priced piece of material that "will not do any better job!".

> doubt if  I am not the only one who shares this viewpoint.<<<<<<

Go for it Stephen, heck I'm not stopping you. And with your wealth of Leica knowledge and
experience I doubt there is anything new about Leica that you don't already know.

ted Grant

Replies: Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Country of Manufacture)
Reply from Stephen Gandy <Stephen@CameraQuest.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Country of Manufacture)
Message from Ted <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Country of Manufacture)