Subject: Re: [Leica] Seeing stars
From: "Richard W. Hemingway" <rheming@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 10:02:46 -0600

Jeff,

>projection device too. As the R4sP lacks any kind of mirror pre-release,
>it's probably not the best SLR for the job, but I'll look over the
>prints before passing judgement. The viewfinder lights turn on even on
>the mechanical "B" setting, so it's best to remove the batteries before
>doing long time exposures.

Use the old "hat trick."  Actually, I used a piece of large cardboard held
in front of the lens.  Open the shutter (and lock it if you have a locking
shutter  release), take away the cardboard and time the exposure, put the
cardboard back and close the shutter.  At high magnifications you will
probably find that you need to use this method as even with the mirror
locked up the shutter will cause vibrations that will be visible on the
film.  (at least it did with a Nikon F3, R7, and viso on an M)

Have a great weekend.

Dick