Subject: [Leica] ISO camera shops in Cologne, Germany
From: Hans-Peter.Lammerich@t-online.de
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 20:10:40 +0100

Foto Gregor at "Neumarkt". Everything new from Leica on stock to play
with, Hologons etc. etc. to look at. Good choice of "Demo" (discounted
sealed that is) gear, but not so cheap in the second hand area (for
Germany). Otherwise visitors from Japan would clear the shelves during
photokina I was told. But I had a good deal with my SL (clean, small
ding and otherwise perfect, DM 400!) Good prices for the less popular
Leica items (R3/4/5/E, R lenses, 3.4/180s). Cheap b&w film. Don't bring
any from the US! And you must talk to Mr. Nolte in the pro-store in the
basement (Gitzo, Gossen are the real bargains). Avoid Saturdays and
evenings!

http://www.foto-gregor.de/kontakt/karte.htm

The shops near the cathedral (Foto Brell,www.lambertin.de) are smaller
and more expensive. More tourists.

For CDs (and eventually photo gear) check out "Saturn" at the Subway
Station "Hansaring". In the 1980s and early 90s they advertised to be
Europe's (the world's?) largest record store. They possibly still are!

For beer, "Koelsch" that is in Cologne, visit "Brauhaus Malzmuehle"
(Clinton was there, "Ich bin ein Koelsch", after all regular guest had
been replaced by secret service agents) at "Heumarkt" or, better,
"Brauhaus Paeffgen" near "Friesenplatz". Expect saucy waiters, but rapid
service. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES order coke or "Alt" (beer from
Duesseldorf). They will either ignore you or will bring milk. Avoid
"Brauhaus Frueh Koelsch" near the cathedral, tourists!

Hans-Peter